The new and improved defender of RPGs!

Monday 20 March 2017

The Heroic Fantasy Handbook (plus some Sword & Planet Barbarians)

I'm working on my medieval-authentic fantasy handbook, and have very little time to write.

So instead, I'm going to point you guys to a kickstarter my friend Alexander Macris at Autarch Games is working on: the Heroic Fantasy Handbook! It's an OSR book (ostensibly for ACKS) which will cover the heroic fantasy genre and take some bold moves in changing some of the fundamental assumptions of how the standard D&D mechanics worked.  Here, heroic fantasy is defined as being "everything that Tolkien and Robert E. Howard have in common, when you take away everything they don't have in common". Other influences include Burroughs, Clark Ashton Smith, Moorcock, and Lovecraft.

But that's not all! Being offered in the same Kickstarter is the Barbarian Conquerors of Kanahu book, which is a kind of barbaric Sword & Planet science-fantasy book to bring the elements of that genre to your ACKS or other OSR game.

So check it out. I'll note I haven't read the products myself, but Autarch's track record is pretty good, so I'm sure the nature of these books will be of interest to some of my regular readers.

(also, I'm not working on these books, or for Autarch at all, and am not being paid to promote this, duh)


Anyways, I'll probably share some more details of my own Lion&Dragon Medieval-Authentic RPG in some coming blog entry. Stay tuned!


RPGPundit

Currently Smoking: Masonic Meerschaum + Image Virginia


2 comments:

  1. As the author of Barbarian Conquerors of Kanahu, I am very proud to see this going on Kickstarter, and later on print. This setting was immeasurably enjoyable to develop and write, and I hope that other Judges (DMs/GMs in ACKS terms) and players will find it an enjoyable milieu to play in as well.

    It's badass. It has dinosaurs, barbarians in loincloth, a lizardman civilization side by side with the human one, giant insects, alien Visitors with advanced tech - and all sorts of nasty Chaotic monsters and gods with tentacles aplenty.

    And more to come, as we advance in the Kickstarter stretch goals.

    (by the way, if you'd like to review my recently-published sci-fi, drop me a line at golan2072 -at- gmail -dot- com and I'll mail you the [dead tree] book - a 209-page setting book compatible with the Mongoose Traveller SRD - once the PoD is ready [in a week or two]).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re Heroic Fantasy

    If you enjoy these kinds of Conan-esque stories I recommend checking out the following books: "The Assassin's Trail" by Charles Moffat, "Hollow Road" by Dan Fitzgerald, and "Fire & Sword" by Dylan Doose. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete